Chemical Reactor Process Trainer with PLC
Continuous flow reactors are common unit operations in chemical processing plants. They are found throughout the petroleum, petrochemical and numerous other industries. The Chemical Reactor Trainer is a reduced scale plant that demonstrates continuous flow, exothermic chemical reaction.
- Reactants are hydrocarbon fuel and atmospheric oxygen; products are combustion flue gasses (CO2, CO, H2O and perhaps traces of NOx).
- The process has instrumentation to provide for reactant flow rate control, product gas analysis, temperature and pressure indication and an interlocking safety system.
- The entire trainer is controlled from a DCS or PLC computer interface with custom designed software and control configuration.
- This gives the student the opportunity to gain real operating experience focusing on both the process of exothermic chemical reactions and on control strategy.
Equipment Specification Highlights:
- Continuous up-flow reactor with interchangeable direct combustion and catalytic combustion tips
- Stainless steel reactor vessel with refractory blanket lining - 300mm (12”) OD X 600mm (24”) high
- Integral viewing ports
- Flow measurement of reactant streams (fuel, primary air and secondary air)
- Analysis of product stream
- Thermocouple temperature measurement
- Electronic process measurement,
- Control cabinet with:
- Power supply, switching, transformer and controls
- PLC or DCS with I/O cards
- Pneumatic control valves
- Dedicated computer control station with PID control
- Custom programmed software configuration and computer/operator interface
- Interlocking safety system to stop fuel flow in the event of a flame failure
- Electronic ignition system
- Integrally mounted fuel canister (propane, butane or LPG mixture)Time to reach steady state after a reasonable step change – less than 10 minutes
- Complete unit mounted on a stainless steel frame
- Personnel protection shields on hot surfaces
- Approximate overall dimensions – 1500x90x1500 cm high (60” wide x 30” deep x 60” high)
- Also included is a manual containing Instructor notes, Student Exercises modules and service manuals for all components
- Optional self-contained with dedicated air compressor, receiver and pressure control
- Available in all world voltages / frequencies (customer to specify electrical power available on-site)
- Electrical power single phase (all world voltages)
- Instrument Air
- Cooling water